Thursday, June 15, 2017

Carole P. Rowan ~ character interview and A Trip Around the World

Warning this material is of a young adult nature.
If you're over 18 ~ Well…You’ve been warned.



ABOUT THE “IF YOU WERE ME AND LIVED IN…” BOOKS:

The “If You Were Me and Lived In…” books are an introduction to customs and cultures around the world. The series is a collection of twenty-two books designed to help children experience life from the perspective of a variety of other children from all around the world, in the hopes that they’ll see how similar we all really are.

The idea of countries, borders, and customs is sometimes difficult for youngsters to grasp. Carole breaks things down into various topics that even the youngest child can identify with – what their name might be, where the country is located, what they would call their parents, what kind of food would they eat, what one thing identifies the country, like a landmark. Children finish each book able to identify both similarities and differences, and with the added of having multiple books, can compare how life is all over the world.

The series includes books about the following countries: 
  • Australia
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Cuba
  • Egypt
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • India
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Kenya
  • Mexico
  • Norway
  • Peru
  • Portugal
  • Poland
  • Russia
  • Scotland
  • South Korea
  • Turkey


Carole P. Roman Character Interview

Sophie (Australia):
Hi Mate, my name is Sophie and I live in the capital of Australia.

Angelo (Italy):
Melbourne?

Minjoon (South Korea):
Sydney?

Sophie:
Those are all really big and well-known cities in Australia, but they are not the capital. I live in Canberra. This is exactly why Carole P. Roman's introduction to culture is such an important series.

Ivan (Russia):
Everybody knows the capital of Russia is Moscow and we call the people there Muscovites.

Isabella (Mexico):
That may be true, Ivan, but most people think my country Mexico is in South America.

Dalia (Kenya):
It isn't? Tell me where it is so I can share the information with my classmates in Kenya.

Isabella:
Mexico is in the southern portion of North America.

Minjoon:
I've learned three important facts about my friends. If you came to visit South Korea, I would take you to Min Sok Chon,. It is a Korean Folk Village and you would lean what life was like five hundred years ago.

Isabella:
If you came to visit me in Mexico, I would take you to Chichen Itza. It's a pyramid that is very old too. It has 365 steps on it. One for each day of the year.

Dalia:
My Baba would take us to the Maasai Mara reserve to see all the animals in their natural habitat.

Sophie:
We have a natural habitat too! Only It's underwater. My mum would take us diving on the Great Barrier Reef where you could see dolphins, turtles and jewel-like coral.

Angelo:
Is Baba what you call your Papa?

Dalia:
Yes. Papa and Baba sound very close

Ivan:
My older brother calls our dad Pap, but I call him Papochka.

Minjoon:
I call my father Apa. It sounds like Papa and Baba too.

Sophie:
I'm hungry. Would anybody like some of my vegemite sandwich. It's a tasty vegetable spread we put on bread.

Angelo:
I'm in the mood for some spaghetti all carbonara.

Dahlia:
I have some delicious samosas. They are dough pockets filled with meat and vegetables, then fried to a golden brown.

Isabella:
I'll share my tamale with you for a taste of our samosa. We use dough made from corn.

Ivan:
I have some prioshky. They are small pasties filled with potatoes, meat, or cabbage.

Minjoon:
I've never tried anything like that. I have kimchee to add to our party.

Sophie:
If we are having a party, then I'll ask Daddy to roast some meat on the barbie.

Carole P. Roman:
There's nothing I like better than a good barbeque and a bunch of new friends to share it with I learned something about six different countries today without even leaving the comfort of my home!. Can you pass some of that spaghetti over here?



ABOUT CAROLE P. ROMAN:

Carole P. Roman is the award-winning author of the Captain No Beard series. Both Captain No Beard-An Imaginary Tale of a Pirate's Life and Captain No Beard and the Aurora Borealis have received the Kirkus Star of Exceptional Merit. The first book in the series was named to Kirkus Reviews Best 2012. Captain No Beard and the Aurora Borealis has been named to Kirkus Reviews Best of 2015. Each book in the series has won numerous awards including the NABE Pinnacle Award, IAN Award, Moonbeam Award 2014, National Indie Excellence Award Finalist, Shelf Media Outstanding Series Award, ForeWord Review Five Star and Finalist in the Book of the Year, and Reader's Views Children's Book of the Year 2013.

Carole P. Roman is also the author of the award-winning non-fiction culture series, "If You Were Me and Lived in...", that explores customs and cultures around the world. She has co-authored a self-help book, Navigating Indieworld A Beginners Guide to Self-Publishing and Marketing. She lives on Long Island with her husband and near her children and grandchildren. Carole invites readers to connect with her via her website.

A reminder to the reader ~ before you leave be sure to take a look at the 
Come back and visit again.


2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.